Latest shoot with Kerry Mann, certified holistic health and wellness coach, leading a 10-day sugar detox this coming month.
If there was one thing I would get on a soap box for, it would be for our collective to consume less sugar (which is in nearly EVERY processed food) and simultaneously have access to proper nutrition (organic and pesticide free fresh FOOD) . The impact of our modern day nutrition continues to have radical negative consequences on our overall well being.
I originally went behind the camera to begin to document the impact of SUGAR and mental health. It is a subject that I am deeply passionate about and advocate for GREENS and VIBRANT, ALIVE nutrition.
According to Mark Hyman, MD, sugar consumption is more serious than we think.
- Sugar is eight times more addictive than cocaine.
- There are 600,000 processed food items in our environment, and 80% of them contain added sugar.
- 90% of kids and 50% of the U.S. population drinks soda once a day.
- One can of soda a day increases a kid’s chance of obesity by 60%.
- You have to walk 4 1/2 miles to burn off one 20-ounce soda.
- 15% of our calories come from sweetened beverages.
- Obesity (not just being overweight) has risen from 9% to 36% since 1960. It’s projected to hit 50% by 2050.
- Nearly 70% of Americans and 1.5 billion people worldwide are overweight.
Imagine if all children were given fresh, organic vegetables at school? Imagine if proper nutrition began from early developmental years and was accessible to ALL economic structures?
Our nutrition is directly connected to our neurology and ability to be vibrant, healthy, fully alive & functioning humans.
So, what do we do about it?
I say education and putting our dollars in support of local farmers and products that is vital.